This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electronic ignition

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Electronic ignition

Postby Drfting1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:40 pm

For some reason when I did my restore on my 53, I thought I had already put the electronic ignition in when I did the 12v conversion (had a lot going on at time)... But I guess I was wrong, went to go order one for the 59 and wanted to double check what I had in the 53. I popped the cap off, low and behold, I still had points in there :-| , so I ordered 2, wanted to see what the difference would be.
The Cub has always ran great for me... Mind you this is the only cub I have ever operated, so I thought all was good since it's only 9hp...... Was I wrong!
I installed the electronic ignition (tried a no name brand) and I couldn't believe the power she has now... I would always baby it into 2nd or 3rd gear and it would go.. like I said before, no experience with these and thought it was normal, now I can practically do wheelies with it... She's an animal now.... it has always started fast for me without issues... Now it barely turns over and it's going
... All I have to say is wow..... The 59 is definitely getting it
Bill Longeill

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
59 cub

Re: Electronic ignition

Postby Drfting1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:58 pm

Now I just have to figure out why she's running a little rich .... I've already rebuilt the carburetor..... Think I mentioned in another post.. I'm not good at fine tuning, maybe if that Chinese carburetor works good in the 59, I'll get one the 53 and see if it makes a difference.... Open to suggestions on this one, Thanks
Bill Longeill

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Main jet? Carb float level? Leaking float needle and seat? Leaking internal carb gasket? Choke adjustment?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:42 pm

TallCoolOne58 wrote:Main jet? Carb float level? Leaking float needle and seat? Leaking internal carb gasket? Choke adjustment?

Tried my best to check all of that when I rebuilt it .. but I'm no expert.
on my 66 mustang, I rebuilt carburetor twice that had issues of it's own, had same problem after rebuilding it each time , finally bought a professional rebuilt one and has been issue free
Bill Longeill

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:06 pm

Drfting1 wrote:For some reason when I did my restore on my 53, I thought I had already put the electronic ignition in when I did the 12v conversion (had a lot going on at time)... But I guess I was wrong, went to go order one for the 59 and wanted to double check what I had in the 53. I popped the cap off, low and behold, I still had points in there :-| , so I ordered 2, wanted to see what the difference would be.
The Cub has always ran great for me... Mind you this is the only cub I have ever operated, so I thought all was good since it's only 9hp...... Was I wrong!
I installed the electronic ignition (tried a no name brand) and I couldn't believe the power she has now... I would always baby it into 2nd or 3rd gear and it would go.. like I said before, no experience with these and thought it was normal, now I can practically do wheelies with it... She's an animal now.... it has always started fast for me without issues... Now it barely turns over and it's going
... All I have to say is wow..... The 59 is definitely getting it

Question: the '59...battery ignition, yes? Did you check the ignition timing with a timing light after electronic ignition install?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:26 pm

What sparkplugs are you running?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:21 am

Many of the cubs I encounter that are running rich need an adjustment of the idle mixture screw. That is the one on top of the float bowl area that is pointed inward at an angle. Unlike most carburetor mixture screws, this one controls air flow rather than fuel flow. So that means turning it inward, which will shut down the orifice, will make it run richer, turning it outward will make it run leaner. A good starting point is to turn it all the way in (with fingers, never tighten it down all the way in or you will damage the seat), then turn out 1.5 turns. Start the cub, let it warm up, then adjust based on;

getting the best idle,
watching for black smoke from the exhaust,
and observing the best acceleration when you "blip" the throttle to wide open (by hand at the carburetor); the governor will fight you to bring it back down, but you only need a moment to confirm no hesitation or stumble during the acceleration

This proper adjustment will usually solve rich run conditions, unless your main jet has been opened up too large; with that, you would likely have some black smoke at all run speeds.

Hope this helps some!
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)