This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

front-mounted blade

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

front-mounted blade

Postby TJG » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 am

This was being touched upon in a different thread, but specifically, does back-dragging gravel or dirt with a 54 blade FRONT mounted put undue stress on the front bolsters of the tractor, more than pushing material forwards? At times the only way to remove material against a wall or fence is to drag it back, and then push it out of the way. I understand that in general front mounting the blade has more risk of tractor damage than belly mounting the blade to the finals. Thanks.
Todd

pharmerphil3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06468
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub
1961 Cub
1963 Cub
1964 Cub Cadet 70
1969 Cub Cadet 125
100 Spreader
144 Cultivator
3 Field Cultivator
22 Sickle Mower
193 Plow
54-Plow
59 Wood's Mower
2030 John Deere
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: front-mounted blade

Postby pharmerphil3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:06 am

Back blading first is not that efficient, with the lack of weight the blade has the tendency to ride over the material, with that being said, I do not believe it would put more stress then pushing with the blade on a tractor.

Phil

oronc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24153
Tractors Owned: 1950 Allis Chalmers B, 1942 Farmall H,Kubota B2150hst
48 Cubplow,cultiv,carry all,blade.other stuff
and other junk

Postby oronc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:12 am

TJG, Contact KubKraft on the home page and get you a set of ear supports,Best money as well as sense of security I did.

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:12 pm

I would like a set of supports, but currently I don't think that they are being made. When the shop gets going again I'll get to the front of the line to get one for both sides. It appears they are different if one uses a cultivator. So, when I get my blade next month and start using the tractor again I'll just take it easy and hold my breath. I already have a broken front right bolster on the radiator base, not the block.
Todd

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:06 pm

I'd like a set of those too. But I didn't see a price offered for them, must not being made

RAW in IA
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Postby RAW in IA » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:01 pm

You have to be cdareful with the mid mounted blade also just mounted to rear housings. My uncle had a homemade blade for snow on the front that he had hooked to the drawbar, or rear axke housings, one or the other. Hew was cutting right along on the side walk and hit a raised piece. Took both rear housings off! When I build my blade, I hooked to the drawbar and to the mid mount points. Kind of double security . Also made a spring loaded trip for blade.

RAW in IA
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RAW in IA » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:03 pm

Guess I don't have picture posting down yet. These are on pge35 &36 in the Cub photo album

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Everything in moderation. I cracked the left rear final on two diferent occasions using the rear mounted blade. John Puckett broke the mounting holes off his torque tube pushing with a front mounted blade. Another new member told of breaking his torque tube in half while pushing gravel. Like the owners manual says "BE CAREFUL".
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:04 pm

Guys:

Actually, ifn you pm Rick or email him the ear supports are always available from what I understand. They are an important modification and he has already stated that he will make arrangements ..

As back dragging or sharpening the blade is concerned, a little judicious use of the touch control lever to increase the down pressure should be useful, but one must be careful. (I haven't done this yet on a Cub, but the principles would be the same as a small dozer), Remember this would be for finish dressing light materials only. The Cub is NOT a dozer and should not be used in lieu of one... (yes I like IH/Dresser TD-7/8's an awful lot.. gotta be my favourite dozer even if it is a Diesel).
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:12 pm

RAW:
RAW in IA wrote:Guess I don't have picture posting down yet. These are on pge35 &36 in the Cub photo album

Edit your post and you will see what it should look like. I fixed it for you.. you almost had it.... :D Couple hints.

Image tags always MUST have an opening statement as in [img]and%20a%20closing%20statement%20as%20in[/img]. The url or address of the .jpg or .gif must be within those tags with no spaces between the tags and the url. Now when I typed the above statement, I included spaces, but the html editor automatically well interpret the space as a %20 " String - % and the number 20". That is why there can be no spaces between the url and the tags.. it will either input %20 or will just see it as a dead url.

Also, if you have the statement thumb_ in the url, then you are looking at the thumbnail which is kinda tiny.. so ensure that when you copy the url of the image that it is of the image and not the thumbnail.

Hope this helps..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

RAW in IA
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RAW in IA » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:46 am

Thanks for the help Rudi. I don't post pictures often enough to remember. this old computer doesn't do picsany more, so if it isn't already here I'm out of luck.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:05 am

Hopefully Barnyard will be finished with the nametags and I'll re-open the site up for the "Support Rods" only(also the retainers) on March 1st. I've decided to designate each month for a particular item. My shop is just too small to continuously change back and forth for multiple items. Maybe after the big run on support rods, I can also keep those available all the time like the retainers, since they're also an always needed item. All the other items are just "bling", I think that's what Ralph calls all the stuff we add to our cubs :D :D
Thanks,
Rick(KubKraft)
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:04 am

Rick, I haven't done it with gravel but I back dragged the blade to clear a thicket of briars at the bottom of my property last summer.
I dropped the blade added a little pressure downward and going in reverse used the blade to "shave" the ground completely and quickly clear out that heavy briar patch I had. Worked like a charm.
I couldn't see where it had any strain or ill effects on the tractor. If anything I would think it may have been easier on it as with the edge trailing away from the direction of travel it would skip over things that may otherwise cause a sudden hard jolt when moving forward.
So I'd think if you leveled gravel taking small bites at a time I'd be safe enough.
Mike.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"